I know you want to know what I have learned after all those hours of Food Network

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mexican Chicken and Rice

Last night's dinner was surprisingly AMAZING! I made one of the recipes on the back of my Minute Rice box, with a slight modification.

These are the ingredients:
1 TBLS oil
2 medium bell peppers, any color
1 lb chicken breast halves (I cut mine up into bite size pieces even though the recipe didn't)
1 pkg frozen corn, thawed (I only used half a package, and I didn't thaw it out)
1 cup chunky salsa
2 cups water
2 cups Minute Rice
Shredded cheese to taste

Here is what I did (you can thank Katie Meidell for additional pictures showing some steps)-

Cut up the bell peppers into a small dice. This is also when I cut up the chicken into bite size dices. Add your oil to a hot skillet, then add peppers and chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally (the box said to cover it and if you are leaving the chicken whole, you should cook it for 4 minutes on 1 side, then 4 minutes on the other, also stirring the peppers occasionally). Also, the box calls for no seasoning, but I used seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic powder on my chicken, then salt and pepper with each step :)



After the chicken is cooked through, and the peppers are tender, add the salsa, water, and corn and bring to a simmer.



Add the rice to the simmering mixture, stir, then top with cheese and cover. Bring heat down to low and let cook for 5 minutes.



I chose to serve this with sour cream since the salsa that I used was "medium heat" and my kids don't like spice at all really. Here is the finished product:

No comments:

Post a Comment