I know you want to know what I have learned after all those hours of Food Network

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Grocery Shopping day

So, I was really sad when I realized that there just weren't enough coupons in my not-yet-built-up supply to save me killer amounts on food. I resigned myself to the fact that I would probably spend $100 on food yet again (which isn't too bad considering it includes 3 balanced meals a day for my family and breakfast and lunch is also provided to 4 other kids) but still, I was sad.

Price matching is great, but I just really wanted to try other stores besides Walmart. Macey's is having it's Grand Opening in my town, so that is where I chose to do most of my shopping this week, just to try it out. It is a block from Walmart, so convenience wasn't an issue. But before Macey's we went to Smith's to get a couple things that were just cheaper than we could find any where else, eggs, butter, and bone in chicken. I spent $10.

Next was Macey's. I had a list for all the things that I needed this week and I was ready to go. I think that the most notable deals were Grandma Sycamore's bread 4 for $5 (savings of over $8 when you buy 4 loafs!!) and broccoli and cauliflower were $0.25 a pound. Another deal, but one that I didn't take advantage of this week, was turkey steaks for $7.99. This is about half price, but since this sale was carried over from last week, I have enough in my freezer! The only things that I didn't buy at Macey's because I KNEW that Walmart had much better prices, so I couldn't do it was Stove Top stuffing, sour cream, and Hidden Valley Ranch. I came out of Macey's at just around $46. Short stint to Walmart to pick up the missing items was $8 (milk was also missing). So even though I only used 1 coupon, $0.50 in value, I only spent $66!!! YAY for me! Here is our menu for the week:

Tonight: Leftovers!
Sunday: Chicken Roll ups
Monday: Mexican Chicken and Rice (found on the back of the Minute Rice box)
Tuesday: Spaghetti
Wednesday: Chicken Noodle Soup
Thursday: Stroganoff
Friday: Leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment