I know you want to know what I have learned after all those hours of Food Network

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Cream peas and new potatoes

Well, it is that time of year again, the peas are on. We are picking about a grocery bag full a day which is a good thing and a crazy thing! So, because they are only on for about 10 days a year, we must make our favorite dish with them, right? So here it is. 

You will need:
about 2 cups of peas
3 lbs of baby red potatoes
water
3 cups milk
3 TBLS butter
3 TBLS flour (I used rice flour because,yeah, gluten free, but you can use whatever flour you want)


Start by shelling the peas. The picture below is twice the amount of peas that I used because we just shelled everything that we had! I need blanch and freeze them tomorrow.

Cut up your potatoes. Since we are using baby reds, they shouldn't need to be cut too many times to be small enough. I like them a little bigger than bite size because it is rustic. I just quartered them, like below:


Cover the potatoes in cold water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until fork tender. Then drain the potatoes.

Because I am so smart, I didn't get pictures of the next steps, so I hope you have a good imagination. After you have drained the potatoes, leave them aside, put 3 cups of water in the pan and bring to a boil. While waiting for that water to boil, in another pan, bring 3 cups of milk and 3 TBLS of butter to a simmer then add 3 TBLS of flour and cook until thickened, stirring frequently. Once the water in the pot is boiling again, add your peas and cook until they are all a nice dark green, probably 2-3 minutes, then add the potatoes back in, as well as adding your white sauce. Cook over a medium low heat until it is your desired thickness. I don't like it thick, so mine is kinda like a soup. Hubby likes it to be thick like a gravy (but if he wanted to have it bad enough he would be the one cooking it right?) Anyway, finish product pictured below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment