I know you want to know what I have learned after all those hours of Food Network

Monday, July 7, 2014

Chili Cheese Fries


Today I made a household favorite, chili cheese fries. I make it from scratch because it is quick and easy, and we like the way I season it. This is loosely based on the recipe for the McCormick packet. To make this one you will need:

1-2 LBS of potatoes (or a bag of your favorite frozen fries, I won't judge)
2 cans black (or whatever variety you like) beans (Bush's beans are gluten free)
2 cans tomato sauce
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 lb (I use half a pound) of ground beef
2 TBLS chili powder
1 TBLS garlic powder
1 TBLS onion powder
2 TBLS cumin
salt and pepper to taste
(if you want to skip all the seasonings, you can buy a packet seasoning, but I like being able to be in control of the flavor and adjust as needed for our tastes)

I cut my "fries" first and bake because they take about 45 minutes and that is how long it takes to make and simmer the chili. I just cut them into strips or wedges and toss in olive oil and salt and pepper, then roast in the oven on 450 for 45 minutes.

While the fries are cooking, you make the chili. Start by browning the ground beef. Once browned through, drain off the fat, and then add back to the pot. Add in the cans of stuffs and then season. Warm through, then leave on a low simmer until you are ready to serve.

To build your plate, put some fries on the bottom, chili over the fries, and grate some cheese over the top. We use cheddar because, again, that is what we like. Caity and Trevor also put sour cream on them, but Andruw and I don't care for sour cream :)

No comments:

Post a Comment